Monday 2 June 2008

I imagine the blog's started like most; with good intentions, but alas over a month has passed since my first post, but a small consolation is that  at least I have a life.

Anyway, i'm heading to see , Swedish, internet-senasation, etheral songstress Lykke Li tomorrow. Should be good I can't get her debut single "Little Bit " out of my head. It's produced by Bjorn from Peter, Bjorn and John, (who I saw last summer in Berlin and were excellent and were kickin' live) though Lykke Li will hope to have a bit more longevity. I've struggled with Sweden in the past, I have an irrational hatred of ABBA, but there's something enchanting about what i've heard so far from miss Li.


The second revelation this week has been the Mystery Jets new album. It's incredibly 80's but not in a Trevor Horn, backs-to-the-wall production sense. It's got a Talk Talk, Aztec Camera and Prefab Sprout feel to it, but like it was recorded in a garage. There's also some raw funk in there and some sharp melodies. The fragility of Blaine's voice contrasts well against the slick accompaniment. Also, though his dad's apparently still a writing member he's no longer a touring/promo/video member, which lets you take them more/less seriously depending on your previous view on the dad and son in a band dilemma. Imagine that, going on tour with your Dad? Sounds like something out of Anthony Kieldis' Biography, and not in a good way.

No comments: